Friday 24 May 2013

Lexis Six

Right. This all strikes me as very important and useful. I have, however, yet to work out exactly how. Bear with me.


1.    On the Ground and In the Air
“…there is room for work here too on going beyond simply statistical accounts of collocation, and trying to explain why words co-occur.”

No shit. Not ‘room’ so much vast open prairies stretching to the horizon and beyond so your view of open space is only limited by the curvature of the earth, for work.

 * * * * *

Collocation then. Semantic Prosody. Chunks. From my own personal point of view this has two distinct professional implications: collocation’s power as a tool to explain language, and collocation’s power to teach language. Obviously one bleeds into the other, but I’m having far greater ease envisaging it’s use as the first of those.

More directly, I can see how collocation could be a very powerful tool to explain things to my colleagues when they ask me questions like “but why do you use strong here and not powerful?” but can’t quite get my head round how to take the next step and use these ideas in the classroom. The danger for both aspects is that it becomes a catch-all excuse; that I say “because X does/doesn’t collocate with Y” with the same knee-jerk reflexivity as a parent denying their child an ice-cream “because I said so”.

Because short of running a corpus analysis of every query you get, how else do you explain it on a case-by-case basis? Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I’m pretty extensively (if not particularly widely) read – certainly above average – and just by the fact I’m doing this course have demonstrated a higher than normal interest in language and the way it works. I’m quite confident in trusting my own internal analytics for most of the every-day queries I get from colleagues and students. But is that enough? What about people unfortunate to possess a less highly developed sense of self-regard than myself (how do they get through the day, incidentally)?

The notes and reading promise great strides in corpus-based dictionaries. But again, these seem to promise explanations after the fact, not so much ways of explaining concepts before it. Apart from standing in front of the students and saying, “Some words just collocates with others. Learn them,” how else are you meant to introduce this in the classroom? Because “Lean them,” isn’t so far removed from. “because I said so.”

In the rush for more effective pedagogy, or at least newer and more exciting pedagogy, a lot of the more traditional methods – such as simple exposure and practice through repetition – can get lost. Things move on, but we shouldn’t disregard these practices as useless just because they’re old. That said, how should students go about studying semantic prosody if not through repeated exposure to the target language?

The longer I work in this field, the more I become convinced that Prosody (of the non-semantic flavor) is something that can’t be taught or studied, it can only be acquired. I have colleagues who have highly developed command of grammar and lexis but to hear them speak it’s still very obvious that they’ve never spent significant time using English as a functional, everyday language. Conversely I have returnee students who score poorly on the written tests but I was able to pick as having lived abroad after hearing just a single sentence from them.

Would semantic prosody be like (standard) prosody in this regard? You can’t break it down to the stage where it can be taught in the classroom, all you can do is flag it up and attempt to provide enough exposure that students acquire it ‘naturally’. What’s ‘enough’? Is there any hope in hell of reaching that in the classroom?

I hope I’m wrong about this, but at present I can’t see how to make this work as a tangible, practical tool in the L2 classroom. If we look to use collocation to move beyond the ‘slot + filler’ conception of how language works, are we not just using it to describe larger ‘slots’?


2.    Meow
For all that I’m slightly pessimistic about the pedagogical applications of collocation, this was still a fascinating unit. Almost too much to go at, which is why this will consist of the borderline rant above and the following random quotes and thoughts. Order will emerge at some point, I’m sure, just not now and not here…

“…there must be a continual appeal to a shared norm of one sort or another or communication becomes impossible.”
(Carter, p58)

Fairly decent working definition of a lingua franca, that. Actually, scratch that, it’s a fairly decent working definition of language full stop.

Carter also continues to bandy about the words ‘style’ and ‘stylistic’ without really ever pinning them down, though for large parts here it seems to be synonymous with register.

* * * * *

“… the phraseological tendency, the tendency of the speaker/writer to choose several words at a time, and the terminological tendency, the tendency of language users to protect the meaning of a word or phrase so that every time in is used it guarantees delivery of a known meaning.”
(Sinclair 2004, p170)

I like the idea of language speakers ‘protecting’ meaning. There’s more to unpack here in due course regarding efficiency of encoding and information transfer, I feel, but I’m not sure quite how yet.

“The structure of an English clause is said to involve … categories [that] are mutually defining, and do not have meaning until they are mapped into a set of choices.”
(Ibid p169)

“…the need to examine the context of an item in order to determine its function or meaning.”
(Ibib p174)

So basically we’re looking at a linguistic application of Schrödinger’s Cat. Lovely.

* * * * *

And a final note on predictive text. As with my (only half joking) assertion that a word is whatever Word says it is, how exactly to programmers set up predictive texting? There has to be some cross-over worth exploring, surely? Well, if nothing else it does provide for some amusing screenshots -



No comments:

Post a Comment