Monday 29 April 2013

Lexis Four




A bit more hands on, this one. If a largely theoretical exercise can be ‘hands on’. You know what I mean.

Either way, it doesn’t exactly lend itself to slightly sarcastic extemporizing in the usual way, so this’ll be short. Just a couple of quick points.

* * * * *

I’ve been out of the country for a few years, but I was under the impression that ladette was the preferred terminology? Zoe Ball, Sarah Cox, late 90’s early 00’s type thing. I’d always assumed it had derived from coquette with all that implied about a lack of coq. You could unpack that even further, if you were of a mind to, as lad is hardly a word without negative connotations. Is laddess really a word now?

* * * * *

Verbing. Woohoo!

* * * * *

‘Borrowings’, or as we TEFL professionals like to call them, ‘loanwords’. So much to say, but for fear of repeating myself I’ll just say my feelings towards loanwords are much the same as Homer Simpson’s towards alcohol, and that I’ve gone on about them in all the depth I intend to before –





No comments:

Post a Comment